18 August 2013

Home - Day 3

To walk through the streets of my childhood with Sumin felt strange. I left home a long time ago. All of us have. Going back is one thing, but taking something, someone from the present back to the past seems almost forbidden. We undusted our old bicycles, pumped up the tires and took a ride. It felt unreal, like an illusion. Two worlds that coexisted have met.

I explained to her. That's the fountain I used to fish for coins in when I was a kid. There's where I had my first part-time job. I was sixteen. Up there is where we used to live a long time ago. Most of my childhood is hidden within those walls. Over there is where my friend used to live. His mother had a hair salon where I got free haircuts after I saved his life.

The tour ended at the high school I went to. They have a new building now and I wonder what they use it for. The school yard is still the same. Kids probably spend their breaks kicking tennis balls around like we used to. At the basketball court my heart started to pound. That's where I spent most of my teenage years, I told her. That's where I almost threw my life away.

No comments:

Post a Comment