12 May 2012

Things to Look for in a Coffee Shop

The perfect coffee shop is almost as hard to find as the perfect cup of coffee. I'm no barista, but I kind of know how I like my coffee. That reminds me of a linguistic discussion about whether one has to be a good writer in order to be a good critic. Something to think about. Anyway, I'm not saying that I need my beans to be expensive, or from a famous coffee plantation on the other side of the globe.

No, it's not like that. It depends on where I am and what I'm doing, even on what time of day it is. Sometimes cheap coffee from a vending machine is exactly what I want, and sometimes I like to spend some thoughtful time at a lonely table somewhere inside. Fortunately, there are many independent coffee shops here, but in my opinion only few stores make the cut to be real good. Here's my top five criteria.


1. Tasty Americano, espresso-based and strong
2. Comfortable seating, a decent wooden chair is better than a mediocre sofa
3. Bright lighting, ideally through a big window from outside
4. Good music, for example jazzy beats and mellow rap
5. A nice view, preferably of something that inspires me

No comments:

Post a Comment