11 May 2012

In Search of Motivation

Yesterday, DJ Jazzy Jeff was in Camden. That's right, the Fresh Prince's deejay from Philly, right around the corner. He played at the Jazz Café, a beautiful little venue that holds no more than three hundred people. The tickets were twenty pounds, a bargain if you ask me. They started at nine o'clock and it was amazing. It must have been amazing. I can't be sure, because I wasn't there, but it must have been amazing. I didn't get a ticket, but I'm sure it was fantastic. I had to study for today, but I'm convinced that it was pure goodness.

Listening to his Magnificent album from 2002 I sat at my sorry desk - a piece of shit board, bent in the middle like a concave lens, put on a set of stubborn drawers on the right and a sort of shelving construction on the left - and read text after text. Depressing. My chair, too, is a poorly cushioned quarter of a cheap kitchen set with no arms, no back support, no comfort whatsoever. It's probably the worst working station set-up I've had in my life. It's miserable and I hate it. I hate it and there's nothing I can do about it. 

I think I'm going through a negative-energy phase these days. No idea where it came from, but I'm working on it, trying to increase my positive thoughts. I keep saying this, but there's a lot of motivation out there. It's evident, you just have to see it. Once you've found out what works for you, all you have to do is pay attention and enjoy. I usually find it in skateboarding or travelling, but this phase, I feel, is more of a quiet and introverted period. I think a lot, I plan a lot. I read, watch and listen a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment