05 June 2011

Bangkok pt. 3 - Day 8

Things are looking better today. It's still raining, but I think that's just something I have to cope with. I mean, what else am I gonna do, right? Like so often before, it took me a little while to get it, but the gomining process is over now. After all, I'm in freaking Bangkok, one of my top five places to visit, and I'm right here, today, right now. Who knows when I might get back the next time. 

Around noon there was a sunny break which I promptly used to get to the station. I took the MRT to Chatuchak Park, a few stops north, and walked to the market. I was glad I didn't have to get a taxi first and pay three hundred Baht for a close to death ride to get there. I think today was my fifth encounter with Chatuchak and I still found stalls with great stuff. I got three new t-shirts and a little headache. 

I grabbed a late lunch at the market, spicy fried rice and iced lemon tea, before I headed to the Esplanade. I needed a new book and Ploy showed me this book store the other day; it's on the top floor and holds a solid bunch of English literature. I held a lot of different books in my hands and after almost an hour of dismissing and selecting it finally came down to Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom, On the Road by Jack Kerouack and It's All Asian by a korean American I've never heard of. They all were appealing in their own ways, but I had to pick one.

I also got a black marker. The reason why I went to the market in the morning was to get a plain white t-shirt. And now that I got the marker I can finally start working on a motive they have here but is being sold with an ugly print on the back and at much too high a price. I got the blank shirt for 40 B and the marker cost me 18 B. Together that's around 1,50 EUR, which is also one portion of Phad Thai and a cheap cup of tea, but still only a tenth of what they want for the officially licenced shirt. 

For dinner I had half a left-over croissant from the morning and a nice cup of real coffee. The mall is really a good place to hang, especially when you want to be alone amongst people. They offer a huge variety of things to do. I picked a quiet seat in a crowded coffee shop and spent some time reading. It's amazing. There's so many people, real people, and nobody bothers you. They're all busy doing their own thing. The way I see it, it's one of the best situations to most comfortably read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment