11 June 2011

Bangkok pt. 3 - Day 14

Today I woke up and felt miserable. Everything lacked colour and realness, and reading about a guy who looses everything in his life because he's a complete failure sure didn't help. Good thing that it's just a short story. I guess everybody has those mornings from time to time and I wonder what people do about it, since it's a weight on your shoulders you can't just brush off like a layer of dust. To distract myself I started working on a little translation. It kind of helped because it's difficult, but I was still close to a nervous snap.

That's why I was all the more glad to receive a text from Ploy, suggesting dinner and coffee. Perfect. We met in front of a DVD shop close to the station and took the MRT to Lat Phrao. For dinner we had chinese dim sum - spicy pork, veggie rolls and a few other variations. It was good. To be honest, I'm not sure it's gonna make it in my top five things I ate in Thailand, but I still liked it. And I remember talking a lot of nonsense; I think I loaded a lot of frustration up on Ploy. Sorry for that na. 

After dinner we crossed the street and checked out a little weekend night market. I learned that it used to be only for car parts and motorcycle stuff, but that it has developed into something much bigger over the years. They have clothes, furniture, stationery, microphones, rabbits, type writers, cameras, flash lights, telephones; the list of things they sell is infinite. But what I found most impressive was the vibe around the whole place. You hear music coughing out of old mono radio speakers, you see a coffee dude who has a cup of coffee tattooed on his back, you see a group of kids standing around a live band that bravely performs tough songs. It's things like that, I guess, that make me forget my gloomy mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment