08 June 2011

Bangkok pt. 3 - Day 11

I went to Union Mall near Pahon Yothin for lunch today. It's kinda funny, when you get off the train and walk through the main entrance you hear Korean pop tunes which make you think you're in Dongdaemun. It lasts about fifteen seconds, then the escalator comes to an end and you're back in Bangkok. They mostly sell clothes and other fashion goods, but on the third floor I found an abandoned Time Crisis mashine. Of course I tried, and to my vast disappointment I had to find out that the lower half of the screen was numb, unable to receive any gun shots. It broke my heart a little.

As for food they have a food court in the basement and a selection of restaurants. I went downstairs to check it out. The food looked fine, but it was the dim lighting that made me go back up. On the first floor there's a couple of fast food joints and a nice-looking Italian place. They had only a few customers and I saw that the whole window side was unoccupied - wooden tables, perfect light, great view -, but they wouldn't let me sit there. I double-checked, but they friendly advised me to pick any other table. It didn't make any sense to me, so I left.

I spent the afternoon strolling around and reading. In the evening I was invited to dinner at a place called Ambience, a bar slash restaurant in the middle of somewhere in Sukhumvit's Soi 31. It was a true hassle to get there, but the place turned out to be quite nice. They got live music, happy hours and everything. Cartoon, Ploy and a half dozen of their closest friends from uni came together to have a good time. It reminded me of the little gatherings with my friends at home and in Seoul. Tasty food, strong drinks, lots of laughter; it was a super mellow evening with a lot of good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment