27 June 2013

Just Visiting

The other day I spent seven thousand Won on a cup of coffee. It was tasty, but I'm not sure it was worth that much. I mean, you can't put a price on taste, but I'm also not sure if any cup of coffee should be charged that much. In the end, it's a lot of coins for a cup of coffee. That being said, I don't think I'll ever understand how the pricing there is justified. Is it the size of the cup? The brand of the beans? The location of the shop?

I did like the shop, though. Not so much the location, but the cafĂ© itself was quite nice. It was called 50Fifty, tucked in a quiet back alley of semi-phony Apgujeong. It used to be a super posh district, but what you see today is mostly the remnants of proud hipsters and has-beens. The whole area is a catwalk, filled with people who try to make up for their damaged self-esteem by pretentious clothes and coffees. 

Is there a little bit of jealousy talking? I guess. I'm not sure what exactly I'm jealous of, but I feel like it has something to do with money. Someone once said that there is a noble lesson to be learned from poverty, and those who don't know it will never get rich. I never lived in real poverty, but I think I have an idea of what he was talking about. Anyway, so I spent seven thousand Won on a cup of coffee and it made me wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment