28 March 2013

Walk with Me

Today I went on a walk. I spent the past two days at home, feeling sick like a dog. I couldn't eat or drink anything else but hot water. I felt like my skin wasn't my skin anymore. Naturally, my primary thoughts revolved around eateries that I would find left and right once I left my place. Most of all I wanted a nice cup of coffee, perhaps a piece of cake or a cookie to accompany it. 

So I left my apartment and started walking. I took a left and another left, which I have never done before. I was wandering with no destination in mind and after a few more turns and stairs I was sure lost. Lost in my own neighbourhood. I realized then how foreign I am, even after seven months of residency. I walked through the alleyways with the eyes of a child. This is what I saw. 

I saw an old woman walking home a child. I saw an electrician wearing a superman hat. I saw a movers company called, three hands. I saw a boy hiding his backpack under his jacket. I saw a book store that sold new magazines from the eighties. I saw a restaurant sign that said, trust me. I saw a boy who was tired of walking and decided to sit down on his father's feet. He was smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment