21 January 2012

Nice People

One thing I found out about London is that people here are generally super friendly. What I mean is not only a difference in attitude when meeting people for the first time - most of the people I've met were really nice -, but also a difference in everyday encounters. Seemingly meaningless things that might only be registered when looked at from an outside perspective.

The other day, for instance, I was somewhere doing something and I saw two people walk into each other. And I overheard the following coversation.
Person 1: "Hey! How are you?"
Person 2: "Fine!"
Person 1: "Good, thanks!" 

The first person was nice enough to ask the second person how he was doing. But instead of being nice back, the second person just answered briefly without asking anything back. Nevertheless, the first person probably expected to be asked how he was doing and reacted accordingly. Only didn't it quite work out. Also it didn't make much sense. But then, it didn't make any difference, either. They both smiled, and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment