05 July 2011

Timbuktu

So this book, Timbuktu by Paul Auster, is a book I've been wanting to read for quite a while now. But not until something funny happened almost two years ago. I first saw it in some bookstore and was sceptical about the title. Sceptical because it was Paul Auster, a writer who's novels I came to like a lot. I thought it was a non-fictional piece about the place Timbuktu in western Africa, which I'm not especially keen on learning about, and so I left it untouched and soon forgot about it. 

About two winters ago I was in Korea. I had two jobs then - one was an unfulfilling desk job, the other one was teaching German. I mainly did speaking and conversation courses, but I still had a textbook to work with. One day, it was a beginners class, I opened it and saw a passage of this book, Timbuktu by Paul Auster. Of course, it was the German translation, but after letting some of the students read it out loud I got a little interested, because it turned out to be novel after all.

I got this copy one sunny afternoon in Bangkok. I think it was shortly before I left Thailand and I started reading it at the airport. The story is written in a super witty way and tells the story of Mr. Bones, a super clever dog. It's a funny story, give it a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment