02 June 2011

Bangkok pt. 3 - Day 5

Worldwide there are two thousand different species of Geckos. They can be found in warm climates - places like Bali or Bangkok, for instance - and range from 1,6 to 60 centimeters. They make chirping sounds and eat things like mosquitoes. They often live in human habitations and they drop their tails when they feel in danger. It's called autotomy. Geckos are usually welcome guests and I have friends who actually like them.

I'm sitting at an unfolded set of red plastic furniture on the side of a street close to Sutthisan Station. I've ordered Phad Thai without chicken, because they had no chicken, and think about the many hours I spent doing nothing today. Somebody brings me a plate, a shy starter consisting of a handful of 숙주나물, a quarter lime and a weird looking plant that I think they think is edible. I'm peacefully chewing on some soya bean sprouts when the beast suddenly appears from nowhere. 

I guess he used the wall, a tall grey wall with many cracks and shades, to sneak up on and stare at me. I'm perplexed for a second, unable to move, and therefore vulnerable for a possible attack, but fortunately he doesn't move much, either. Probably a calculated act of strategy. I can tell he is up to something. I take a deep breath and after regaining my ability to think clearly I remember my plan to think positive more. Sigh. Geckos gotta eat too, I think, and finally push my salad against the wall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment