31 May 2011

Bangkok pt. 3 - Day 3

The curtains are closed, but the morning sun is drilling its way through the cloth and fills the room with a warm light, in a tone that suggests coffee and a butter croissant from the supermarket across the street. That's how I start my day. I take a seat on the wooden coffee table which I converted into a bench, so that I can use the desk which, having no stool on it, I assume they had purposefully used as a rack for the little refridgerator that is making cool sounds right now.

I put a spoonfull of instant coffee crumbles in the mug that came with the little Princess coffee mashine. It has a little built-in filter thing so I could also buy ground coffee, but I got so used to the other method, that I can't bother changing it. Plus, that way I don't have to clean the mashine, just the cup. I listen to the sounds that the little black item is producing and look forward to the first sip. I put the little mug on the desk between me and the computer and enjoy the sweet smell while I check my emails and some other stuff.

I got a small translation job. It's been a while and I can definitely use some practice. And frankly I can also use the money. It's not a fortune, but on the other hand it's also not too much work. I'm trying to look positive on things now. I confirm the assignment and fix myself another cup of coffee. Breathe. Outside an endless chain of cars is passing by, I can hear the engines, also tuktuks, they have their own sound, and scooters, too. I close the window and start the air-condition.

Sometimes the second cup of coffee is the best, I don't know why. The Bill Evans Trio and Stan Getz are playing their But Beautiful songs while I collect my laundry from the washing line. I could do laundry all day, and again, I don't know why. Maybe I like the smell. While folding a checked shirt I wonder if that's what all the asian dry cleaners in the movies thought when they were my age. Who knows, maybe I'll end up the same way, running my own little laundry shop. Jin's Laundry Corner. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment