18 May 2011

Bali - Day 4

Today was a pretty much quiet day. The girls went surfing in the morning and the rest was indecisive what to do. After breakfast Tobs wanted to work on some stuff, and I had things to do as well, so we went into town to look for a place with a solid internet connection. At the Seminyak end of Legian Road we found a bistro called Mannequin Pis, like the little urinating man from Brussels, that did the job.

After a while I left Tom and Tobs in the bar and went for a walk through the streets. Basically it's only one major street that leads from Seminyak through Legian all the way to Kuta. It has a number of smaller streets on the sides that are more interesting because they're a bit more ... well, they feel more local. I put my backback on my back, the earphones in my ears, and pressed play to let Nujabes play his beats.

I know that Tobs can see himself live in Bali, and today, strolling around town, I thought about that. And I'm not sure I could. I've only been here a few days, and I've only been to this part of the island, but judging from what I've seen so far, I'd say I would have my doubts. What I already love about Bali is the people, that I can say for sure. They're super humble and everybody is thinking positive. I like that.

At a junction in Kuta I turned right, because I saw a sign that said Coffee Corner. I approached the shop and read "free wifi" and the inside looked really clean, bright and friendly. I ordered a small, overpriced Macchiato and took a seat on the second floor. I walked up the stairs and saw only one other guy occupying a sofa. He was big and old, around fifty I'd guess, and looked sort of touristy, but not in a bad way.

"I'd like to check some music on my computer", he said in a flawless british accent, "do you mind?" I didn't, because I was listening to some tunes myself, and told him not to worry. "Not at all, go ahead", I said. His name was Ken from London, a very polite guy. So I was minding my own business, when I suddenly heard him snap his fingers to the beat. He was grooving along and I thought that was kind of cool. But before I knew it he was singing Man in the Mirror at the top of his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment