15 May 2011

Bali - Day 1

There's a small island between Java and Lombok that goes by the name of Bali. With a population of almost four million people it's actually quite an isle. It's one of the thirty-three provinces of Indonesia, its capital is Denpasar and other popular places are called Nusa Dua, Kuta or Ubud. Bali's economy is highly dependent on tourism, but not all the tourists come here for the beautiful surf spots. The island has a super rich religious culture and is also famous for its fine arts and crafts.

Today we went to the airport to pick up Uschi, Micky and Agnieszka, who were to arrive at 2:15. Tobs and I dropped off Tom and Jessi at the main entrance and went on to hook up with Nicole at the Bali Camp. Tobs showed me around a bit and said hello to his former instructors and fellow camp members. Nicole was soon ready to go and we were transported to Seminyak, a part of Kuta, which is located in the south of the island. I hear it's more touristy than the north, but I still find it pretty amazing. 

We met the others at the house and quickly picked our rooms. It's a massive two-storey palast with an open living room on ground level, a pool in the front garden and a nice kitchen that comes with a bar and a long wooden dinner table. The place has four bedrooms, each with an attached bathroom, free wifi, a water dispenser and air conditioning. The house is tastefully furnished and the digital sound system makes relaxing on the L-shaped sofa much more comfortable.

I still have trouble grasping that I'm in Bali right now. It was in my top five places to visit someday, actually Bangkok is up there, too, and I'm glad I can share this adventure with so many great people. In the afternoon we went to Legian and had a super good dinner at a place called Balcony. It's really laid-back and serves crazy delicious food. One of the desserts is called Death by Chocolate. I only had a sliver, but I'm gonna have a proper piece next time.

1 comment:

  1. Guyz....I would love so much to be with you all there right now! Enjoy your time there till the last minute has passed!

    I am from 5th June on in Calli for surfing ;)

    ReplyDelete