16 May 2011

Bali - Day 2

Today we had a pretty good morning. All the girls went out to get their surf guiding, and Tom, Tobs and I stayed home to have a lazy breakfast. Mine was actually pretty awful, I had a chocolate doughnut, a nutty chocolate bar and a cup of instant coffee. That's what I thought I would want to eat in the morning when we were grocery shopping at the supermarket last night. Bad thinking.

The girls returned before noon. Their surf guide is called Adi, a super nice dude who was working at the Bali Camp when Tobs and Jessi were staying there last year. Part of their guiding is called video coaching, which means that they are being filmed during the lesson. We gathered around the television set and Adi was commenting on each student's achievements. Super efficient, and by watching alone I felt like I was improving my own posture.

In the afternoon we took a cab to the city, or let's say to the part of town where the supermarkets and the shops are. Kuta is considered one of the more touristic parts of Bali, partly because it's in the south and therefore close to the land down under. Some people even call it Australia's Ballermann. It's been many years since I've been to Mallorca, but in my eyes the comparison seems a bit harsh.

We walked by a place called La Boulangerie de Bali. It has lots of old signs hanging on the walls and everything is wooden. The floor, the benches, the tables and the chairs. The menu looks fancy old and everything sounds amazing when you're as hungry as we were. I couldn't choose between the Sandwich with Jambon et Beurre and the Bagel with Salami, so I listened to Tobs and picked something called the Giant Burger Set.

Afterwards we walked around the streets a bit. And aside from all the tourists, people like us, it's a pretty amazing place. First of all there's palm trees, real palm trees, everywhere, and the streets are sandy and filled with cars and countless motorcycles. I think they do have traffic rules, but I'm not sure. All the people are tanned and everybody seems to be happy about something. And it's contagious, too. I'm happy to be healthy and alive, breathing beautiful balinesian air.

No comments:

Post a Comment