20 April 2011

Bangkok pt. 1 - Day 8

There's good nights and there's nights when they karaoke the shit out of the bar next door. I lay in bed, unable to sleep, and heard people with strong accents persistingly sing Mariah Carey, Nelly Furtado and Maroon 5, it was driving me nuts. Maybe I sang along "Wonderwall" a little bit, but that was merely a desperate attempt to cope with the situation. I didn't enjoy it. At two thirty then, they finally shut up. And I fell asleep. 

There's good mornings and there's mornings when they're slamming doors at seven o'clock. Honestly, what kind of sick person goes on vacation and slams doors right after sunrise? I mean, starting the day early is fine, but the slamming? Not necessary, I think. I turned on the air condition and used the humming sound of the mashine to fall back asleep. Two hours later I was frozen. 

For brunch I went to a coffee shop down the street, I had an americano and a croissant with almonds. I picked an empty table with a comfortable looking chair in a corner of the sitting area. It was quite nice and while eating and drinking I melted down and woke up properly. I started jotting around in my notebook and was surprised by how many words came to mind. It's been a while, and I was glad I was surrounded by quiet people.

In the afternoon it started raining and I stayed close to Khaosan Road. It was sort of a pleasant rain though, perfect to go take a walk. I left all my things in the room and went out with my hands in the pockets and earphones in my ears. Jose James was singing quiet songs and I enjoyed the calmness of the day while everyone else was running and jumping, trying to hide from the inevitable.

For an early dinner I went to a nice little place I had been before. They serve only six dishes, all of them simple meals. In fact, everything about the place is kept very simple. It's on the corner of a quiet alley and the front walls are missing, which makes it a bright little space. Its old tiled floor is blue with a nice pattern, the remaining two walls in the rear are white with only a calendar and the menu on them. The interior furnishing consists of a tall refrigerator, four red plastic tables and matching plastic stools, the gas stove is in the front corner, facing the street. A friendly lady is stir frying vegetables and the smell of soy sauce and fried onions lies peacefully in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment