19 April 2011

Bangkok pt. 1 - Day 7

Last night I fell asleep to a horrible karaoke version of Alicia and Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind". Nevertheless I had a pretty good sleep and woke up at around nine. I thought about getting a sandwich for breakfast, because I was feeling like having bread. When I went outside though, it was raining as if it was the first rain ever. Too bad, I thought, because Subway was on the other side of the road. Normally I wouldn't mind too much getting a little rained on, but what was pouring down this morning was different. It felt like New Year's all over again.

So I went to McDonald's instead, which was only two doors to my left. I had to replan my day. I thought about crossing the river today, but I didn't want to do that anymore. There had to be a way to avoid getting wet and still make perfect use of the day. By the time my muffin was half eaten, I decided to go to Siam. There's plenty of shopping centers to check out and I heard they had a couple of Korean restaurants around Soi 6. I drank up my coffee and went out, into the sun.

It had stopped raining and I felt played by nature. For my taste it was yet too early in the day to pull off stuff like that. So I went back up to my room and rethought my plans. Since it wasn't raining anymore there was no need to spend the day indoors. Also, due to the rain the streets were probably cooled down a bit, which means it would be a good day to walk. That's why in the end I decided to check out Chinatown today.

I sort of knew which way it should be, so I just started walking. I looked up and it was a beautiful day. Jay-Z and the Roots were playing their Mtv's Unplugged while I followed Thanon Tanao all the way through Phra Nakon. I walked zig zag and I walked straight, I had soon lost my sense of direction, but I knew where I was headed. After a while I wasn't too sure anymore, but then I hit Rommaninat Park and I knew I was close. I walked on till I finally spottet some first Chinese signs. 

Here we go, I thought, and got lost in the countless narrow alleys. I walked across streets and I walked through markets, block after block I kept walking. That way I found out that this place was no piece of cake. It's crazy how much business is going on here. A thousand Jewelry joints, high end electronics, I know where to get them. Funky fabrics by the meter, handmade musical instruments and gnarly meat grinders, follow me. There were so many impressions that I soon had to take a break. I went to KFC and happened to watch a pigeon die. 

First I saw it outside the window sitting on an electric wire that was spun across the street. It was swinging back and forth and I was wondering how birds can keep their balance like that. The pigeon was white, not true white but sort of street white, and looked a bit weak, maybe it was old or underprivileged, who knows what the pigeon world is really like.

The lights on the large intersection changed and hundreds of vehicles started moving and making an immense noise. One of them, probably a motorcylcle, must have spilled a handful of seeds, they were sprayed about the street, shining bright like water crystals on the open sea. I looked up to the wire and the pigeon was gone. The cars must have scared it away, I thought and went back to eating my ice cream.

A minute later it grew quiet again. I looked out the window and spotted the pigeon. It was on the street amongst a group of other pigeons, regular grey ones, who where maybe friends, maybe enemies. They were busy picking up the seeds and I wondered if they were sharing or rather fighting over them. Suddenly a single motorcycle appeared from around the corner, it must have turned before the lights changed. The driver seeing all the birds seemed surpised, too, for he hectically steered left and right.

And then it happened. All the other pigeons flew away or at least jumped aside. But not the white one. It was probably too occupied to realize the danger. No no no, I thought, but it was already too late. The rear wheel ran over the struggling bird. The tire caught a bit of the pigeon's plumage and scattered a hundred white feathers about the street. The body was lying still. Only the feathers were shining bright, like water crystals on the open sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment