30 December 2013

Reflections

What do you think is the best part about traveling? I read in my notebook, read my own handwriting. It was a crispy cold evening not too long ago. I was sitting in a coffee shop and a little boy at the next table tried to get more out of his juice box than it contained. I showed him my empty paper cup and shrugged my shoulders. He gave me a smile and I smiled back.

I couldn't remember when I jotted down the note. The line in the top right corner of the page that is reserved for the date was empty. I sat back and started thinking, which is actually the exact purpose of most of my notes, to rediscover them and think about their meanings. So, what's the best part? I like cities more than mountains or oceans... no wait, let me start over. 

I think it's the act of leaving. It sounds trivial, but if you think about it, it really isn't. Depending on how busy a person you think you are, even a small trip requires scheduling and planning. It feels like work, when it's really a favour you're doing yourself. There is something valuable in the fact that you're allowing yourself to make new experiences, in getting lost and challenging yourself to find your way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment