05 November 2013

Craftsmanship

It's good to have something to fall back on. That's what the electrician tells Jean Michel before he became famous. The electrician, played by Willem Dafoe, is forty years old and he says that he's glad that art hasn't worked out for him yet, because that way he had time to develop.

I watched Basquiat for the third time today, still wondering about New York in the eighties. As a Korean I would probably have had different things to worry about, and I might have never connected to art or hip hop or even skateboarding. What a terrible thought. 

So, if I think about how I did develop I ask myself, what do I have to fall back on? There's school, of course, the things I studied and graduated from, but that's basically it. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't pick up a craft. Something practical like tailoring, book binding or silk printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment