03 November 2013

An Education

Earlier tonight I met Patrick and Quentin, two local skateboard brethren from overseas. There are many more, all of us from countries far far away, all of us connected through skateboarding. Today I met P and Q for dinner in Sinsa, that phony posh district south of the river. 

We went to an exhibition of a friend or ours and grabbed a bite across the street. We had boodae jjigae and beers. I told them about my friend who has a baby now, and we started talking about where to best raise the next generation of renegade skate rats.

We looked outside the window and thought, for most people in the streets it's obvious. Most people were born here, raised here, schooled and educated here. There's no question. But, for us, who were put on different places of the earth, we face a dilemma. 

Education systems are all different, and some parties debate that they are all worthless, shit methods to keep kids occupied. Most of them lead nowhere and produce either professional idots or senseless machines. It's a difficult decision. I wonder how I made it through life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment