25 May 2013

Weird Connection

Did I tell you that I was kicked out of a school yard for playing basketball the other day? It was a regular weekday and I was excited to shoot some free throws in my newly acquired Nikes. Basketball once played a significant role in my life. I used to play everyday, literally every single day, when I was in highschool. Our school had one of the better courts in town. 

I was a weird kid. My closest friends back in Germany know that and I can't thank them enough for still being my pals. The particles of the person that I was back then were of very different nature. For example, there was the renegade skate rat who confidently wore his father's old Asics, but also the very Korean son who defended his conservative values in front of others.

For the most part, I felt like an abstract painting, smeared on the canvas called life by a bunch of third grade artists. This may sound depressing, but it's nothing less but true. Except for one or two solid strokes I didn't have anything that defined me. I didn't know who I was and I hoped for someone to come along and just tell me. Today I'm glad that that never happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment