01 May 2013

Late for Work

Writing the first post of a new month is always a little intimidating. It's much like the first page in a new chapter of a book. Not that my entries read like a consecutive story, or maybe they do, but after each month it feels like there is a little break. Of course, in reality one day just follows the next without any break whatsoever, but here it's like starting over new. 

This month starts off with a day marked red in most calenders. In Germany it's called Tag der Arbeit while here in Korea they say 근로자의 날 which is interesting, because there is a subtle difference. It doesn't strictly translate into Labor Day but into Laborer's Day and I kind of like that we celebrate not the work itself, but the people who perform it. 

So, many people had the day off, a beautiful day with friendly clouds hovering in a blue sky. I met Sumin at City Hall. We met for lunch before we both had to go to work. I got there a little early and told her I would wait upstairs where the artificially planted lawn is spread out. And I couldn't remember the last time I lay in real grass. Backpack for a pillow, music in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment