29 April 2013

Where the God of Love Hangs Out

This is the book I'm currently reading. For the longest time I forgot that I had it. Sitting in my hungry bookshelf I didn't notice it for the longest time. Then, one dark day last month, I took a moment and went from spine to spine and rediscovered it. Amy Bloom, an author I had never heard of before, is a trained social worker and a lecturer for creative writing at Yale University.

I don't know much about either, but I'd like to think that you can see both qualities reflected in her writing. Where the God of Love Hangs Out is a short story collection that deals with a good chunk of real life issues. I like the stories a lot, even though I feel like I'm seeing repetitive patterns that take away a little bit of spontaneity. Nevertheless, I'm learning a lot about descriptive writing and plausible omission. 


No comments:

Post a Comment