08 April 2013

Mixed Thoughts

Hazelnut. Just a moment ago. Only for the tenth of a second. I remembered what a raw hazelnut tasted like. I was sitting at my desk, working on an interview, when suddenly a hint of hazelnut occupied first one, then all of my senses. Hands on the keyboard I narrowed my eyebrows. I closed my eyes and saw a scene from my childhood. Amazing how such a small nut can cause a sensation like this.

The other day I came home and heard a child getting hit in the head. I recognized the heavy sound of a firm smack to the side of the head, then the boy screaming. I was standing at my front door, keys in the hole. I hesitated for a moment, unable to turn them, open the door and walk into my peaceful apartment. I heard the same kid today, complaining about something he was probably right about.

One of the more stressful translations I've done in a while has numbed my mind for a few days. I spent the night finishing it, finally putting an end to my misery, and took another day off to just find back into my rhythm. Sometimes I wonder why I chose to do what I do. There are so many occupations in the world. How did I end up here, living next to my neighbour, thinking about hazelnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment