13 December 2012

The Last Friend

This is the book that I brought to Vietnam. When I opened it on the plane the receipt fell out and landed on my knees. I picked it up and it told me that I had visited Judd Books in Marchmond Street, London. Half a year ago I was halfway around the world. I payed three fifty-five in a currency that doesn't matter where I live now. It's a funny thing, this journey we try to balance everyday.

Tahar Ben Jelloun is a Moroccan poet and writer. His first language is Arabic, but he wrote all his works in French. He studied philosophy and taught at a University in Casablanca. In 1971 he moved to Paris and continued with his studies in psychology. Four years later he received his doctorate in social psychiatry. Paris is where he focused more on his writing. The Last Friend appeared in 2006. It's a story about a friendship told from two different perspectives. The chapters are short and easy to follow. I enjoyed the writing and I'm looking forward to read more of Jelloun's books. 




No comments:

Post a Comment