When I came home today and switched on the lights I heard a zipping sound and the room suddenly went dark. Standing there, looking up at the ceiling, I thought it must have been one too many commands for the light bulb. Carefully I tiptoed over to the lamp on my desk and clicked it on. That's kinda nice, I thought. I never had only the table lamp on, it was always an addition to the ceiling light.
Thankful for my new homey discovery I put on some jazz music. I didn't actually put it on, as in 'to put the needle on the record', but I double-clicked on the 'jazz' folder in the 'music' partition of my computer, scrolled down and up again, then opened the 'Gonzales - Solo Piano' folder and selected the sixteen tracks. Then I clicked on the play-button icon and took a deep breath. Perfect, I thought.
Next, I changed into my all-time favourite home-sweet-home outfit, which is a well-selected and very personal ensemble consisting of a pair of basketball shorts, a comfy t-shirt and a hooded zipper, and went over to my book shelf. It's actually not so much a shelf especially made to hold books, more like a convenient four-storey piece of shit furniture where I put - amongst other things - my books.
'The Story of Forgetting' ... no. 'The Truth About these Strange Times' ... no. 'The Penguin Book of English Short Stories' ... no. Although, I thought, lifting an intrigued eyebrow, short stories sounds good. But not those. Something fresh would be nice. Suddenly I spotted a clean darkish paperback with a mysterious title. It was on the far right, indicating that it was put there only recently. That's it, I thought, right there.
Outside a car was honking into the night. I walked over to the window and looked upon a cold and dark world of engines and noise and pollution. I turned around and tried to keep the headache out of my head. Glad to be on the other side of the window I released a deep sigh. The room was cozily illuminated, Gonzales was playing his songs, and if I remembered right there was a beer left in the fridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment