13 July 2011

Something that Happened the Other Day

The other day I received an email from my university. It was an invitation to a meet-and-greet thing with a famous translator from Korea. I had never heard of her before, but I thought it might be a good opportunity to hear something interesting. The Korean Department of our school held the event and had thoroughly prepared coffee and snacks for everyone. Prior to the meeting I met up with a 형 from school who was also attending.

We hadn't met since winter, probably. He was asked to bring a fruity contribution, so we went to the market and got two blue containers of strawberries and a kilo of dark red cherries. They were well received and when the show started the group added up to a total of nine people. It was kind of awkward at the beginning and we thought about getting another cup of coffee in the cafeteria, but it actually ended up a real nice event. 

The famous translaterin first talked about her career, which was pretty impressive, and then about the massive business that the job has become now. Everybody chipped in a few thoughts, and it became quite a nice circle of stories. On my train ride home I kept thinking about literature translation as a main occupation. There's so many other things I want to try and learn, but I realised that translating is something I will always keep doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment