26 June 2011

Originality is King

Sunday, another Sunday. And a happy one, too. For the most part of the day it didn't rain and temperatures were nice. And that was reason enough for me to celebrate life by setting up a board with whatever parts were available. I grabbed an old deck, mounted some dusty old trucks on it - two different ones even - and used my newly purchased wheels and bearings to complete my substitute board. The other stuff I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so basically it's even a substitute for my substitute for my real board. 

Next thing was shoes. Since my current skate shoes are in a box on its way here, together with my original board, some clothes, a couple of books and my portable coffee mashine, I had to find a fresh pair to wear for the time being. And you know, shoes to a skater are just as important as the right trucks, the right wheels or the weather report. So the right shoes are not at all easy to pick, much less when there isn't much of a choice in your shoe rack, or when you really really liked the ones you skated last.

So I finally got everything set and went out. I couldn't wait to hop on my fresh new old board and swerve the curve. I carried it through the unskateable part of our pedestrian precinct till I finally reached the first good street. This is it, I thought. I pushed once and I pushed twice and, well, it sucked. I thought I got everything right, you know, with the bushings, the wheels, the familiar deck. But it felt super awkward. The wheels too sticky, the rear truck too wide, and the shoes too new. Indescribable disappointment.


No comments:

Post a Comment