13 May 2011

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller

I think it was in 2007 when a friend of mine, Jessica from LA, gave me a book as a present. It was Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. Before that day, it was a warm summer day in Seoul, I had never heard of the author who is considered one of the most influencial contemporary Italian writers. I remember, she also gave me a handcrafted bookmark that had my name on it. I liked her a lot, and I read the book carefully. I especially liked the imaginative descriptions. 

The second time I heard of Calvino was in university. I took a class in "Translation from German into Korean". It was difficult, but I enjoyed thinking and writing in Korean. The story was called Arbeiterehe, and I'm having the hardest time finding out the English title. It was a lovely little story about a married couple that barely spent time together because of the husband's night shift working hours. Again, it was the little things that I liked most, the descriptions in particular.

I started If on a Winter's Night a Traveller quite some time ago. But with all the travelling and exploring new places, I didn't get much time to read. Most days I had to use my head for other things and in the evenings I was busy being tired. But now I'm almost through, and I really like the way the writer communicates with the reader. The author takes you from one story to another, all very different, yet all super interesting. It's a great read, you should definitely check it out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment