26 May 2011

Bali - Day 12

Today we went surfing at Rudy Tu. Last night Micky suddenly was feeling sick, too. So today it was only Nicole and me. It's funny to hear Irene and Nicole talk in Schweizer Deutsch. It's much faster than regular German and comes with a large palette of Swiss vocabulary. I tried to catch as much as possible, but I couldn't get much more out of it than the topic. Sometimes I wish I could plug myself to the internet and get an additional language package. I would check Indonesian, Thai and French, maybe Japanese, too, then click on “Apply” and I'd be smart. How cool would that be. Also I would get an update for English, Korean and German, and I would run an anti-virus program. 

I didn't catch a single wave today. Actually, I was close to riding one, but I had to jump off because there was a guy swimming right in front of me. I could tell by the look on his face that he was surprised to see me, too. No kidding, I feel like I almost killed him. Fortunately he was a guide and knew how to protect his life. Anyways, that's why I don't like to count that one wave as a caught one. I'd rather drag and drop it in the trash bin, and put it together with the girl who's side I crashed into and the other girl who's shoulder I almost dislocated.

But I still had a great time out there, let me explain why. You're sitting on your board, far behind the waves, floating, trying to hold your balance, surrounded by nothing but water. The beach is so far away, so small, you can barely make out the tiny flag on the little hut, which is your landmark. You start to feel a little movement and before you know it a wave is growing taller and taller. For a couple of seconds there's silence and the few people around you become the last people on earth. It's a fantastic thought, but with the mighty energy or nature so close to you that everything seems possible. The wave breaks and crashes louder than you would have ever thought. Irene is sending one of her brilliant smiles to Nicole, who sends back a genuine “Yuhdi Hui”. Adi starts singing one of his songs and I know, everything's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment