09 January 2011

Have a good Day

For weeks now I've been craving some excersise. Not that I'm anything close to a legit sportsman, but I try to keep myself moving every once in a while. Today I woke up and saw a partly blue sky for a change. In the past few days the temperature climbed up to above zero and most of the snow has melted away. Streets are visible again, but still covered in wetness and gravel. Too bad circumstances to go skate. And sadly enough in our town there's no such thing as a dry and smoothly-grounded spot. So pushing the board isn't an option yet, but I thought I should give the basketball court a try. I prepared by watching a Michael Jordan video while cutting my finger nails short and looking for my basketball pants. I undusted my Nikes and pumped up the old Spalding.

Also, my real brother came to town today. He's a pretty much busy guy, but for special occasions he comes to Germany every now and then. Back in the days we used to play basketball a lot more. Our school had the most legit court in town. That court was my second home during my young years of renegade. Damn it, that's a lot of memories right there, perhaps I'll tell you some stories some other time. But seriously, we used to play a lot more. Funnily enough we both played a lot, but not so much together. I guess we both had our own different crews to hang out with. But fact is, that we both played basketball. And I think every kyopo guy has. Because every kyopo guy I know owns at least one pair of Jordans. Just like every kyopo guy I know has had a 5:5 hair cut at some point of his adolescence.

I guess studies and other obligations eventually took control of time. We both moved away, left Euskirchen for probably better places. In the past few years a lot of things have changed, though. The city has become more city-like. It's grown with more shops and we even have a Saturn now. The pavements have changed and the construction at the train station has finally finished. What remained was a lot of old shoe boxes and memories. Every box contains a different memory. It's funny. How people can change, I mean. When I was younger, I did a lot of wrongs. Many of them I sure regret to this day, and I probably will till I die someday. But everybody makes his own experience, right? Everybody learns in a different way. So even if I look back at some memories and feel bad, I'm very thankful for everything that has taught me to be who I am today. 

Also with my brother. When we were younger we had beef everyday, I feel like there was barely a day we didn't fight. For years. Then he moved away and I cried my eyes out. Funny how that goes, mh? Today I love him like noone else in the world. He's just the best guy there is. I guess we have neither reason nor time to fight anymore. We both grew up and became friends along the way. It's the greatest thing.

So today we had a small lunch and decided to go throw some hoops. Sure, we sometimes find the time to go play ball, but today was different. I guess it was, because I wanted to really check out the court today. Well, reading this, you may be disappointed that the court we play at nowadays isn't the court behind our school. It's kind of... ah shit, I shouldn't have mentioned the court at the beginning. I feel like I've built up a little something and then just forgot about it. I could lie now, but I generally try not to. So I will just tell you what happened. We talked about how we missed the chance to watch Jordan play and some other NBA news. Man, back in the days we used to know stuff. My brother more so than I, but I remember how we picked our own starting five players and everything.

After chosing the right shoes and clothes to wear, we went downstairs to get our bycicles up from the basement. My brother has a proper mountain bike in dark grey, I own a foldable golden grandma bike. I really like it, though. We said goodbye to our parents and hopped on our bikes. I hadn't ridden my bike since last summer, it felt super strange. Kind of funny but somehow sad at the same time. A bit like eating the first ice cream of the year in spring. But actually more fun than that. Moving without walking. The long forgotten feeling of kicking the pedals. For just a second I closed my eyes. Took a deep breath, and listened. And when I looked up, I saw my hyung riding in front of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment